Improbable Defense, building on the backbone of SpatialOS, has combined world class scientific modeling, market leading AI, mission specific user interfaces and a uniquely flexible and secure deployment model to create a powerful simulation platform tailored to the needs of the war fighter.
Our mission? To enable the most realistic and effective military simulations ever experienced, making defense users more effective on operations and decreasing the cost of military preparedness. The team in Arlington, VA is focused on applying our technology to solve real world problems within Government and Industry.
At Improbable, you are surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them, and who compel you to improve yourself. We’re motivated by the fulfillment of solving hard problems to achieve something profound and transformative.
You will join a product-oriented team aimed at producing reusable components that add value to Improbable’s synthetic environment platform.
Using your extensive experience in modern software development best practices, system architecture and design, you will build innovative backend services leveraging and contributing to our efforts around simulation and training.
Areas for Impact
Write well-structured, efficient code using modern C++ best practices, with a particular emphasis on performance and maintainability.
- You will drive the C++ discipline at Improbable US, helping to establish standards and best practices for the language, while also coordinating with our Engineering Architecture Group to evangelize these standards and practices to other teams working with C++.
- In collaboration with the larger team, you will develop new capabilities that will allow Improbable to unlock new kinds of business and deliver a strong return on investment.
- Your technical leadership will help the team and business ensure that capabilities are built in a flexible way that delivers maximum value to our customers.
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following
You are a C++ enthusiast! You keep current with the language evolution and you have good instincts about the cost/benefit balance of adopting new language features.
- In addition to your C++ fandom, you are also capable of making your way with other mainstream languages like Python, when necessary.
- You design and write maintainable systems. You understand that it’s not good enough to make something work once, it must last.
- You can understand new challenges quickly, formulate a plan, get buy-in, and execute. You will help the team move fast.
- You can understand complex distributed systems, and how the components you design and deliver will fit into those larger systems.
- You have some exposure to or experience with commodity cloud computing platforms. The systems you build will eventually be deployed into clouds like AWS, Azure, GCP and others.
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!